Sunday, August 24, 2014

MN State Fair Competition

The Competition


When the Minnesota State Fair announced their 2014 Creative Activities Competition I scoured the pages and pondered what tasty treats I'd enter this year. Last year I entered 2 items and the thrill of competition and creative love ignited my desire to enter again. I played around with recipes and thought about several different treats; perhaps my Melt-in-Your-Mouth gluten-free and vegan cookies? Or a triple layer brownie? Or the Ginger Snap Cookie competition where everyone has the same recipe and you turn in 4 cookies?

All viable options, though there was something about my Cake Pops that kept calling to me. But they don't really "fit" anywhere, I thought. Then in May I woke up with an idea, no, it was more than that, it was a gift of creative expression. Turning on the light, grabbing my journal and a pen, I filled the pages with ideas of fun and creative State Fair inspired Cake Pops. The Special Contest Rules below caught my eye and I knew that "Anything-On-A-Stick" was my theme - I was in!
Photo courtesy of:
http://www.mnstatefair.org/competition/creative_activities.html
Entering into this competition filled me with joy and a bit of nervous energy and as I continued to practice batches of State Fair inspired Cake Pops, friends and family sent their love, support and constructive criticism; there was also no shortage of taste testers. Truly, I am grateful for the all the well wishes!
My intentions for the competition and my inspiration fridge.
The competition was today and there was a flurry of joy, excitement, nerves and pride. The inspirational images of State Fair things to eat, to see and to drink can now be removed from my refrigerator, the weeks of practicing can now make space for other fun activities, though my world has been changed. It wasn't just the second place red ribbon and 2 Twin's Dugout game tickets or the thrill of having these treats on display at the State Fair, no, it's something deeper, more meaningful. Wholeheartedly, I find myself filled with joy and gratitude, acknowledging that as I stepped forward to partake in the pure expression of creative energy, the One Main Ingredient... Love, was poured in.
The 29 Cake Pop Crew - Final Set for Competition
Funnel Cake with Powdered Sugar & Green Apple


Hamburger and Popcorn

Mini Donuts with Cinnamon and Sugar Sprinkles

Horse

Princess Butterhead

Haunted House and A Tub of Sweet Cookies

Pig and Corn

First Place Ribbon

Dan Patch Ave Street Sign, Pink Cotton Candy, Music from the Grandstand

Space Tower

State Fair Transit Hub Sign, Corn Dog with Ketchup and Mustard

Underwood St Sign, Rooster

Cow

Ferris Wheel and Tractor

Minnesota State

Giant Slide

The Final Layout.
Used a styrofoam base, State Fair map and then placed the Cake Pops where these items could be found.
KSTP TV filming my Cake Pops - a proud moment indeed.

Receiving my honors for second place.

No comments:

Post a Comment